ALL-TIME FAVOURITE NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL ALBUMS

Some recent discussions among the lunatics' metal community in Twitter easily led to narrow down my all-time favourite Norway black metal albums. So I'm throwing them here in order to leave trace for the upcoming generations.
Two lists below - 1) all time top 10 in particular order and 2) top 25 list in no particular order.
Being into BM since 1994, means that these albums are mostly the Norway classics from the 90s. Honestly this second wave really gave me a lot and after it there haven't been so much great efforts coming. Just all dissolved into hundreds of subgenres and influences, loosing that so obscure underground feeling, the eternity and majesty. 
Of course I can list excellent BM albums from the present, which still keep the flame and remind of the golden era. Nothing is the same though.

ALL-TIME TOP 10 NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL ALBUMS

1. Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
So atmospheric, so majestic, so grandeur. Listen to this at dying sunset, watching the tops of the snowy mountains and the drowned into eternity pinewoods...
Starting right from the beginning with grieving Det Nye Riket and continuing till the end.  
Infinite. Eternal. 
Nothing can compare to this feeling.





2. Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast
The continuation...











3. Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Yes, I'm Dimmu Borgir fan of their 94-97 era. These three albums really mean a lot to me. I witnessed them and they have been with me through a lot of lifestages and situations. They still bring me goosebumps. 
Eternal.
Yes, this is the last good thing Dimmu Borgir did. IMO. 






4. Satyricon - The Shadowthrone
I love Satyricon early periods and their latest releases. Not too much into their most commercial stuff. 
The Shadowthrone is dark, atmospheric, epic, carrying the extraterrestrial majestic northern spirit from the 90s.
I am spirit. I am stone. And I am immortal.







5. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
The very first true black metal album I bought. In the summer of 1994. It was so different to all I'd been listening till then.
Three crushing black metal tracks and one stunning instrumental to gaze the infinite majestic winter nightsky and weep. We are just dust.







6. Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Among the first black metal records, released in the distant 1992. This album is a benchmark. 










7. Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
One word - klassik











8. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
So underground, so black. Only flames of the dying candles...











9. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
I got into Emperor with the Emperor's EP, buying it first in 1994. I'm the Black Wizards instantly got me. When I bought The Nightside Eclipse, I felt it somehow it had lost (me because of) the lack of underground feeling. Still, this album is a benchmark. Atmospheric, majestic, full of black metal anthems. 







10. Immortal - Battles In The North
Two things: Circling Above In Time Before Time and Blashyrkh (Mighty Raven Dark). 
Period.








LISTED: ALL-TIME TOP 25 NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL ALBUMS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1
Dimmu Borgir For All Tid
2
Dimmu Borgir Stormblast
3
Dimmu Borgir Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
4
Satyricon Shadowthrone
5
Burzum Hvis lyset tar oss
6
Burzum Det som engang var
7
Darkthrone A Blaze in the Northern Sky
8
Darkthrone Under a funeral moon
9
Darkthrone Transylvanian Hunger
10
Darkthrone Arctic Thunder
11
Immortal Battles in the North
12
Enlaved Vikingligr Veldi
13
Satyricon Dark Medieval Times
14
Satyricon Satyricon
15
Borknagar The Olden Domain
16
The Kovenant Animatronic
17
Arcturus Aspera Hiems Symponia
18
Immortal Pure Holocaust
19
Emperor Emperor

Emperor The Nightside Eclipse
20
Mock Vinterlandet
21
Burzum Filosofem
22
Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Satanas
23
Covenant Nexus Polaris
24
Old Man’s Child  Born of the flickering
25
1349 Massive Cauldron of Chaos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNT VLAD'S AOTY LIST OF 2023

MY TOP 50 DEATH METAL ALBUMS OF 2023

MY TOP LIST OF SEPTEMBER 2023