MY TOP 20 FOR FEBRUARY 2021

I guess I was too picky in February, cause originally my list contained fewer choices than usual. Around 10. I thought in general February was weaker than January, or some other months. But I changed my mind in the end. I must point out immediately that the originally chosen ten albums were/are powerful enough and actually have the staying power to be among the top albums for 2021 at all. Furthermore, originally I included five honorable mentions. But everything changed! I spent a bit more time with certain albums, and there was a huge releasing schedule for February, so I could pick more... 

So in the end, I present here the usual top 20 (in no particular order, except my No.1) with the albums that deserve time and attention. Some will definitely stay a longer time with me, some probably won't make it. But for today I think these 20 albums are good and require listening.

My album of the month is definitely Suffering Hour's The Cyclic Reckoning, followed closely by the rest below. So, another month gone by, another list done. Life is going on.

SUFFERING HOUR - The Cyclic Reckoning
Release Date: 19 February

Absolutely great distorted delusive black death album and yet so catchy and so memorable. The album will be definitely in high rotation with me in 2021.  
LOS MALES DEL MUNDO - Descent Towards Death
Release Date: 26 February

Trve Kvlt Black Metal. One of the best modern BM albums.
CULT OF LUNA - The Raging River EP
Release Date: 5 February

38 fantastic minutes. 5 tracks rich in so many nuances and emotions. CoL is getting better and better?

THE RUINS OF BEVERAST - The Thule Grimoires
Release Date: 5 February

TROB is creating its own world of darkness and dwelling shadows. The new album is just this. Less shamanic and ritualistic than Exuvia. Heavy and gloomy. I still prefer Exuvia, but who knows what might happen after my next listening...

EVERGREY - Escape of the Phoenix
Release Date: 26 February

A glorious new album by the Swedes. Evergrey are delivering again, so now I really can say that their last three albums are absolutely stunning. 

HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY - Mære
Release Date: 19 February

Closer to Trauma and more distant to Arson. Brighter. Not heavier enough? Not their best, but it is still an excellent album and very enjoyable. 
EARTHSHINE - My Bones Shall Rest Upon The Mountain
Release Date: 26 February

Amazing album. A combination of doom, black, grandiose atmosphere, and black melancholy. Raw, underground, epically mournful!


SWAMPBEAST - Seven Evils Spawned of Seven Heads
Release Date: 12 February

Heavy AF death/grind. You will be powered up!
MOONSPELL - Hermitage
Release Date: 26 February

What a surprise. I have never been a Moonspell fan. I never liked much any of their albums. This one is different though. Very different, very melancholic, in some kind of Alcest way...
NOCTAMBULIST - I: Elegieën
Release Date: 12 February

Nothing new or special here. I just liked the atmosphere, especially the more melancholic parts. Just an enjoyable post-black.
EMPYRIUM - Über der Sternen
Release Date: 26 February

I was really looking forward to this one, as I'm their fan since their first albums. Empyrium always succeeds to drown me in their unique atmosphere of moors and misty fields. Uber der Sternen is a very rich of feelings, moments, and moods album that easily drifts the listener away from every reality.
AD NAUSEAM - Imperative Imperceptible Impulse
Release Date: 12 February

If 2020 gave us Imperial Triumphant and Khthoniik Serviiks, 2021 starts with Ad Nauseam. This is an album to fuck your mind with.


JARHEAD FERTILIZER - Product of My Environment
Release Date: 26 February

A good friendly violent fun, powering me up!
EPHEMERALD - Between The Glimpses of Hope
Release Date: 19 February

I have never been keen on melodic, epic, cheesy death metal. That's why I approached this one very carefully. It turned out a great powerful album, and thanks God - not as cheesy and epic as I expected.


IOTUNN - Access All Worlds
Release Date: 26 February

Musically this is a fantastic album. At first, I had issues with the clean high vocals, vocals I felt way high for me. Later I got used to them and they really match well to the growls and the overall atmosphere of the record... Magnificent album!

THE GENERALS - To Hell
Release Date: 26 February

So enjoyable and easy listening Swedish OSDM! It just rolls...

FORHIST - Forhist
Release Date: 26 February

It finally clicked in the last minutes while I was preparing this list... Black and avant-garde. I'm going to digest it in the future with further listens, so I leave this album here. 
SIGNIFICANT POINT - Into The Storm
Release Date: 26 February

Relentless speed/heavy! As I'm a massive Skull Fist fan, it was an instant love...
SVN.SEEKER - Means To An End EP
Release Date: 4 February

Very good EP, technical DM but not unnecessary technical and pretentious, and yet very enjoyable. 
KORPSE - Insufferable Violence
Release Date: 26 February

The so-needed slam/brutal DM this month...Nothing extraordinary, just I needed blasts...






That's it from me for this month. Still hesitating on Humanity's Last Breath and few other albums...JFC, it is a neverending list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNT VLAD'S AOTY LIST OF 2023

MY TOP 50 DEATH METAL ALBUMS OF 2023

MY TOP LIST OF SEPTEMBER 2023