MY TOP 25 FOR APRIL 2021

It's the end of April 2021, and that means my regular monthly list should be out. April wasn't balanced. On 30 April to many new albums were released. Overall it was a strong month with few notable big names putting out new records. 

It would have been too obvious if I had said that Gojira's "Fortitude" was my album of the month. And it is a superb album actually, that I'll play a lot in the future. I chose Crypts of Despair to carry out that fame instead. I spent the last 2+ months with All Light Swallowed and I really love the record. 

I tried to pick my other favorites out of the huge April pile. And that wasn't a very easy task, but I managed to shortlist 25 favorites + another 13 mandatories. I believe there are many AOTY contenders in the below list. April'21 done now!

CRYPTS OF DESPAIR - All Light Swallowed
Release Date: 23 April

UNFLESH - Inhumation
Release Date: 2 April

Awesome, memorable, and still dark melodic tech death. No cheesiness, no shitting. I love this album!

GOJIRA - Fortitude
Release Date: 30 April

I was waiting a lot for this one. It is a Magma successor but again bringing new vibes and nuances. Some tribal kneelings, but it is NOT Gojira's Roots ffs!
It will be in heavy rotation!

LUCIFUGE - Infernal Power
Release Date: 30 April

In February 2020 Lucifuge entered into my monthly list then. I can say this new album is even better. Filthy blackened speed with NWOBHM roots. Always enjoyable!
MORAL COLLAPSE - 
Release Date: 2 April

Got me instantly! Superb Death Metal with diversity, technicality. Love the inclusion of other instruments and influences. Sax is top! And a spectacular guest musicians line-up!
SPECTRAL WOUND - A Diabolic Thirst
Release Date: 16 April

Spectral Wound can't disappoint. Another great BM record by the band. They are turning to be a preferred choice by many now. Exit the UG?

PAYSAGE D'HIVER - Geister
Release Date: 23 April

This is a different PDH album. More tempted. Slower, controlled in a way. No typical blasts available, no endless hypnotic passages, shorter songs. Still, it is PDH!

UNIVERSALLY ESTRANGED - Reared up in Spectral Predation
Release Date: 30 April

Dark, twisted, technical, and brutal. UE brings outer worlds here. One of the most interesting DM/BM albums in 2021
ALTARAGE - Succumb
Release Date: 23 April

Altarage always brings me pleasure with their suffocating, ultra sick tunes. So dark and twisted. 
STEEL BEARING HAND - Slay in Hell
Release Date: 2 April

Uncompromising, cold, smoking. 
CANNIBAL CORPSE -  Violence Unimagined
Release Date: 16 April

Probably among the best CC with Corpsegrinder? Rutan brings a fresh spirit. Nothing can top Barnes era and their first four albums!
SIELUNVIHOLLINEN - Teloituskäsky
Release Date: 2 April

Finland beauties. 
NATTVERD - Vandring
Release Date: 30 April

One of the best contemporary and notable Norway BM albums. 
FORSMÁN - Dönsum Í Logans Ljóma
Release Date: 9 April

From Iceland with love. This is a Dissonant downward spiral. Great stuff!
ENNOVEN - Empty Passes, Silent Trails
Release Date: 24 April

If you want to escape from this world.
EVILE - Hell Unleashed
Release Date: 30 April

The long-awaited new album. Thrash done right in 2021.

VREID - Wild North West
Release Date: 30 April

This one requires time. I know it's great but I still need more time with this album to confirm this fact.
HYMNR - Far Beyond Insanity
Release Date: 23 April

The Russian BM is a BM done right for me. With links to the best raw atmo- Finish BM.


MĀNBRYNE - O Udreçe Ciała i Tułaczce Duszy
Release Date: 9 April

Half of Blaze of Perdition, but I feel it is better.

AKHENATEN - The Emerald Tablets of Thoth
Release Date: 30 April


ASHEN EARTH - Oceans Above
Release Date: 20 April
RINGARË - Thrall of Winter Majesty 
Release Date: 25 April 

The unmistakable Ringarë! I'm a big fan.
INOCULATION - Celestial Putridity
Release Date: 9 April

Filthy, chopping, brutal.


NORDGEIST - Frostwinter
Release Date: 23 April

Another Russian BM album. Cold, intense, cold!


SPECTRAL LORE  - Ετερόφωτος
Release Date: 23 April

I left this one here despite that I didn't like it much. After two and a half months with this album, I still can't digest it. But I know I'll continue to listen to it.



MANDATORY HONORABLE MENTIONS

WODE
ENDSEEKER
NEPTUNIAN MAXIMALISM
BUNKER 66
NEKROMANTHEON
NINKHARSAG
SHADOWSPAWN
AKIAVEL
ILDARUNI
CATHARTIC DEMISE
OSSARIO
GNIPAHALAN & EVILFEAST Split
BEWITCHER?
KAUAN?

What did I miss? I'm sure you will bring in more great suggestions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNT VLAD'S AOTY LIST OF 2023

MY TOP 50 DEATH METAL ALBUMS OF 2023

MY TOP LIST OF SEPTEMBER 2023